Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat It! Beat it!

Today in class (actually, about 3 minutes ago), I chose my "beat" or area of interest for the semester. Naturally, I chose "crime" with a specific interest in drugs (mom, you can roll your eyes now). I decided to take this because Kylee chose sports and she sits next to me and got to choose first, but also because it's an area that interests me.

Here are some main issues that I plan to cover:
  • new street drugs
  • college life and crime
  • laws
  • drug culture

Here are the story ideas I've gleaned from these issues:
  • NORML - activities and meetings
  • Possession laws, local and state
  • Snurf, khat, DXM, what the kids are taking
  • Prescription drug abuse
  • Treatment centers and programs
  • Music festivals and drug culture
  • April 20th celebrations (on campus and off)
  • Steroids and athletic culture
  • Violent crime in the city of Boulder
  • Date rape statistics and reporting
  • Crime rates during football season
  • On-campus crime vs off-campus crime
  • Medicinal marijuana
  • The paraphernalia shops - economic impact
  • Federal control of performance-enhancing drugs

1 comment:

Michele said...

So here are the ideas I've managed to come up with to add to your very long list of story ideas -

Is the DARE program or other drug education being taught to teens, and is it effective? Do college students even remember middle school drug education?

Is there a correlation between alcohol abuse and drug abuse by college students?

Is there a spike in drug usage during finals?

Has scientific study been affected by making certain drugs illegal?

What is the effect of having decongestants behind the pharmacy counter? Have sales depleted? Has it had the desired effect on drug use?

How does a substance become an illegal drug?

I hope this ideas are helpful. Good luck!